Sharjah International Book Fair welcomes Mexico as GOH and the world’s top publishers and agencies for its Publishers Conference
Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF), the third largest event for books and culture in the world, will take place 30 October-9 November 2019 for its 38th edition.
SIBF is delighted to welcome Mexico as the Guest of Honour (GOH) for 2019 and promises a memorable showcase of the country’s vibrant cultural and literary landscape through a rich program of events at the Fair. This year, Sharjah has been GOH in Madrid, Moscow and Turin. In 2020, Sharjah is looking forward to being the Market Focus country at The London Book Fair in March, and GOH at Bologna Children’s Book Fair in April.
The SIBF Publishers Conference, a key event in the international publishing calendar, will take place 27-29 October 2019 as part of SIBF. In its ninth year, the conference will be attended by over 540 participants from all over the world who will come together to discuss an array of topics. The world’s top publishers, agencies and scouts are represented including Bloomsbury, Cambridge University Press, DK, Jessica Kingsley Publishers, Kalem Agency, Livres Canada Books, Pan Macmillan, Penguin Random House Canada, Sonia Draga Ltd. Publishing House, Tate Publishing and Wiley.
The SIBF Translation Grant is one of very few international funds that supports translation from any language to any language, thereby facilitating the international translation of rights, not just to and from Arabic, but around the world It launched in 2011 with a $300,000 fund to encourage rights trade between international publishers and has to date facilitated the translation of 1152 titles and continues to grow. Last year, a record 1,700 applications for the grant were submitted (participants of the SIBF Publishers Conference can apply only). An adult title can receive up to $4,000 and a children’s book $1,000; the total pool of funds for translations to and from Arabic is $250,000 and, for translations between two other languages, $50,000 each year.
Past participants of the SIBF Publishers Conference said:
- ‘What a fantastic program! And a great opportunity to meet people who I possibly wouldn’t have met elsewhere. Very inspiring.’ – Michael Gaeb Literary Agency (Germany)
- ‘SIBF Publishers Conference is an excellent programme for international publishers to learn about the Arab book market, as well as connect and network with Arab publishers.’ – Noura Publishing (Indonesia)
- ‘The Publishers Conference is an excellent way to meet with publishers from across the Arabic region, build and maintain relationships and make new deals.’ – John Murray Press/Hodder (UK)
- ‘It is truly one of the most rewarding and enriching professional programmes I have taken part in, offering unique opportunities for making contacts in new territories and areas.’ – Bertrand group (Portugal)
- ‘SIBF gave me a great insight about the publishing world in Arab countries; I have made new contacts and met new friends. This is an awesome opportunity to bring publishers together.’ – Tudem Publishing Group (Turkey)
- ‘This experience was so much more personal than my annual visit of Frankfurt, London, Bologna or other fairs…I came back enriched and eager to learn more about the Arabic publishing scene and eventually bring information about the best of our books to the Arab world.’ – Latvian Literary Platform (Latvia)
SIBF has attracted thousands of publishers and authors and millions of visitors from around the world who have come together to share experiences and expertise, and above all, celebrate their love for the written word.