Private Eye Paul Foot Award 2020: Open for Submissions
The Private Eye Paul Foot Award 2020 for investigative and campaigning journalism
NEWS ALERT – CHANGES TO SUBMISSIONS PROCEDURE
News for release: The Private Eye Paul Foot Award 2020 is making changes to its submissions procedure. Previously entries were only accepted as hard copies and had to be submitted via post. The pressures of the current Covid-19 situation might affect journalists being able to collate physical documents, or if they are in isolation, they may not be able to physically post the submission in time. Given this, the submission process has been changed for 2020 and entries may now be submitted electronically as PDF documents.
Ian Hislop, Editor of Private Eye, said: “Everything is cancelled – but not the Foot Awards! The ultimate journalism prize is still up for grabs – or maybe not grabs but possibly for a handshake – or maybe not a handshake but just a little wave …but the glory and the large cheque await! Enter now whilst you have a bit of time on your hands (and then wash them).”
The new guidelines are as follows:
- Entries may now be made by sending all documents in PDF format to [email protected]
- Entries may still be made by post at: THE PRIVATE EYE PAUL FOOT AWARD, Private Eye, 6 Carlisle Street, London W1D 3BN
- Online-only coverage can be presented as printer-friendly versions
- The deadline for submissions remains 1st April at 1pm. If Covid-19 is affecting you making the deadline, please contact [email protected] for more information.
Submissions will be accepted for material published in a newspaper, magazine or website between 1st April 2019 and 31st March 2020. No broadcast material is eligible. Individual journalists, teams of journalists or entire publications may enter, and entries will be considered for anything from a single piece to entire campaigns.
The judging panel is comprised of Padraig Reidy (Chair), Francis Wheen, Simon Jenkins, Helen Lewis, Emily Dugan, Janine Gibson, Julia Langdon and Matt Foot.
For further information, including a downloadable application form, please go to:
For further information, please contact Amelia Knight, Midas PR
Tel: 020 7361 7860 / Email: [email protected].
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Entries should be marked as ‘THE PRIVATE EYE PAUL FOOT AWARD 2020’ and be submitted by post to:
- THE PRIVATE EYE PAUL FOOT AWARD, Private Eye, 6 Carlisle Street, London W1D 3BN
- Entries can also be made via PDF to [email protected]
- Entries to be received by 1pm on 1 April 2020. If Covid-19 is affecting your submission, please contact [email protected]
- For postal submissions, entrants are asked to submit 2 PRINTED COPIES of all relevant material (including a covering letter, which should be no longer than two A4 pages, typed and providing an overview of the campaign). The entry form, which can be downloaded from http://www.private-eye.co.uk/paul-foot-award, needs to be attached to both copies of the submission
- Journalists are welcome to enter more than one campaign, but each campaign needs to be submitted using a separate entry form. Maximum of 2 entries per journalist
- Copies of articles can be submitted on both A4 and A3, black & white or colour and should be in the format the articles originally appeared (either in print or online). If your campaign featured regularly throughout the year, you are not required to submit every story published – we would suggest sending in copies of a selection of key coverage that highlights campaign milestones, and listing the other stories on an A4 sheet, with the date on which they were published
- Entrants are asked not to send in original work, as anything submitted is non-returnable and will not be formally acknowledged
- The winning entry will be awarded £5,000 at an awards ceremony at BAFTA, London on Wednesday 3rd June 2020 – all shortlisted journalists will be invited to attend. Note for Collaborative Entries: The prize money is awarded per entry not per person
- The shortlist will be published on the Private Eye website and in the magazine in May 2020
- The judges’ decision is final
- Additional information on how to enter can be found at http://www.private-eye.co.uk/paul-foot-award