The Everything Store by Brad Stone wins the Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award 2013
Brad Stone today won the Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award 2013 (www.ft.com/bookaward) for The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon, published by Transworld/Bantam Press and Little, Brown. The book is the definitive story of Amazon.com, one of the most successful companies in the world, and of its driven, brilliant founder, Jeff Bezos.
The award, which recognises the book that provides ‘the most compelling and enjoyable insight into modern business issues’, was presented this evening to Brad Stone in London by Lionel Barber, editor of the Financial Times and chair of the panel of judges, and Lloyd C. Blankfein, chairman and chief executive officer, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.
Brad Stone saw off strong competition to win the £30,000 prize. Each of the five runners-up received a cheque for £10,000.
Lionel Barber said, “This is an inspirational business book which captures the culture of Amazon and the character of its founder Jeff Bezos. A must-read for disrupters around the world.”
Lloyd C. Blankfein commented, “Amazon is a remarkable force that has revolutionized the retail world since Jeff Bezos founded the company almost two decades ago. Brad Stone offers a provocative take on how Jeff Bezos and Amazon have transformed industries as varied as publishing, consumer electronics, and cloud computing.”
The distinguished judging panel for the 2013 award included:
• Vindi Banga, Partner, Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
• Steve Coll, Dean, School of Journalism at Columbia University, New York and Staff Writer, The New Yorker magazine
• Lynda Gratton, Professor of Management Practice, London Business School
• Arthur Levitt, former Chairman, United States Securities and Exchange Commission
• Jorma Ollila, Chairman, Royal Dutch Shell
• Shriti Vadera, Director of Shriti Vadera Ltd, Non-Executive Director, BHP Billiton and AstraZeneca
Photographs of winning author Brad Stone, shortlisted authors and the judges will be available to download from http://www.flickr.com/photos/financialtimes after 10.30pm GMT on 18 November.
_Comment on this post
You must be logged in to post a comment.