Entries Are Now Open for The London Book Fair’s Hugely Popular Writing Competition: The Write Stuff!
London, 14th January 2020: The London Book Fair (LBF), the UK’s biggest gathering of international publishers and agents, has announced that entries are NOW OPEN for its ever-popular writing competition, The Write Stuff, which will take place on Thursday 12th March in LBF’s Author HQ – the area of the Fair dedicated to writers and aspiring writers, which is sponsored by IngramSpark and Kindle Direct Publishing.
Last year’s winner Lulu Allison who pitched her novel Salt Lick says of her experience “I really enjoyed taking part in The Write Stuff event at London Book Fair. It was incredibly useful, even though soon after winning I decided to re-write the book I had entered! I learnt so much – about the industry, about talking to agents, and crucially, about understanding my own work. Honing a presentation helped me to realise what was critical in the book and it gave me a tool I have used regularly since. Meeting the agents was brilliant, even though it didn’t result in representation. They were helpful, thoughtful, supportive, and some of them remain so. A really valuable and enjoyable experience.”
The competition takes the form of a “Dragon’s Den” style panel event with six shortlisted authors pitching their books to a panel of literary agents, and an Author HQ audience, for the chance to win a follow-up meeting with a literary agent and a free year’s membership to LBF’s Author Club. Previous judges have heralded from Curtis Brown, CW Agency, Eve White and United Agents.
At the Fair, authors will have three minutes each to pitch themselves and their work, with the judging panel providing on-the-spot feedback. After a short deliberation the winner of the 2020 competition will be announced and be asked to chose the judge with whom they’d like to have an agent consultation.
The Write Stuff is an incredible opportunity for writers at all stages of their career, whether it’s their debut novel, or looking to move into a different genre!
Deadlines for this year’s The Write Stuff are:
- With immediate effect: Entries are now open, and authors are invited to send in their submissions to [email protected] in accordance with the published guidelines and application process
- 17:00 GMT – Friday 31st January: Deadline for entries
- Friday 7th February: Longlist notified and asked to send in the first three chapters of their work
- Friday 14th February 17.00: Deadline for longlisted authors to submit their work
- Friday 28th February: Shortlist (six) will be notified and invited to pitch on the day
- Thursday 12th March 2020, 14:30-16:30: The Write Stuff competition takes place
All Author HQ events are free-to-attend with the purchase of a three-day pass which also includes access to LBF’s extensive Insights Seminar programme of 200+ events covering all aspects of the publishing industry. Seminar places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Information on how to enter the The Write Stuff competition is below and can also be found at: http://www.londonbookfair.co.uk/The-Write-Stuff. For further information about The London Book Fair and ticket information, please visit www.londonbookfair.co.uk.
The Write Stuff – Terms & Conditions
• Authors wishing to enter The Write Stuff competition should email [email protected] putting The Write Stuff in the subject heading of their email and send a covering note and synopsis about the book they would like to pitch to the agent panel and why they should be chosen.
• Entries should be in the main body of the email – please do not send attachments – and it’s 250 words total word count for each application, including any covering note.
• Authors may only enter one book.
• Entries are open for all longform writing.
• Applicants must have at least three sample chapters of their work available to be considered for entry.
• The deadline to enter is Friday 31st January at 17:00 – entries received after this will not be considered.
• The six finalists will be notified on Friday 28th February.
• Finalists are required to attend The Write Stuff event at the London Book Fair. If they are unable to attend they will forfeit their place.
• The judges’ decision is final.
• Published deadlines are final and no extensions will be offered.
THE LONDON BOOK FAIR (LBF)
The London Book Fair (LBF) is the global marketplace for rights negotiation and the sale and distribution of content across print, audio, TV, film and digital channels. Taking place every spring in the world’s premier publishing and cultural capital, it is a unique opportunity to explore, understand and capitalise on the innovations shaping the publishing world of the future. LBF brings you direct access to customers, content and emerging markets. LBF 2020, the 49th Fair, will take place from 10 – 12 March 2020, Olympia London. LBF’s London Book and Screen Week will run for the fourth year, with the book fair as the pivotal three-day event within a seven-day programme. For further information, please visit: www.londonbookfair.co.uk
For further information please contact the following at Midas Public Relations:
Kate Appleton I [email protected] I 020 7361 7866
Amber Choudhary I [email protected] I 020 7361 7868