ARE YOU IN THE ‘WRITE’ CLUB? OPPORTUNITIES FOR ASPIRING AUTHORS CREATED BY THE LONDON BOOK FAIR
The London Book Fair (LBF) is continuing to expand its programme for authors, with the launch of two new initiatives for 2016 – the Author Club, which will provide a range of LBF benefits and networking opportunities throughout the year, and Write Now!, a residential weekend of informative talks and workshops focusing on Women’s Fiction, curated in partnership with HarperCollins’ digital-first imprint, Carina UK.
Created with LBF’s ever-growing author audience in mind, Write Now! will take place at Bailbrook House Hotel, Bath over the weekend of 23rd and 24th January 2016. Aimed at aspiring, new and hybrid authors, it will provide practical advice to guide attendees through the never-ending choices now available to them when it comes to how they publish and market their books. The focus of the weekend will be on enabling each attending author to find the right route to publication for their work. The action-packed programme will include sessions by Victoria Oundjian, lead editor for Carina UK, and Sam Missingham, head of events at HarperCollins UK. Other participating speakers will include agents – with Caroline Sheldon, Caroline Sheldon Literary Agency, leading a session on rights – as well as publishers, authors, marketers and consultants. The programme will cover:
- Honing your Craft: Planning Techniques and Self-editing
- Publishing Women’s Fiction Now: The Agent/Traditional Publisher Route
- Publishing Women’s Fiction Now: The Self-publishing Route
- Get to Know Your Rights: Contracts, Rights and other Legalities
- Marketing and PR: Getting Your Story Out There
- The Business of Publishing: Money; Margins and Profit
- The Power of Social Media and How to Create Your Community
The weekend will wrap up with a special edition of LBF’s popular The Write Stuff competition that takes places every year at LBF. A Dragon’s Den style event, Write Now! attendees will have the opportunity to enter a competition to pitch their books on the day to agent Caroline Sheldon, as well as Victoria Oundjian and Sam Missingham from the HarperCollins team, in front of the Write Now! audience. The Write Stuff winner will win a revision letter from Victoria Oundjian to review their work in more depth.
Write Now! delegates will also attend a networking drinks reception and official dinner on the Saturday evening, which will include an after-dinner talk by Carina UK’s bestselling writer Annie Lyons, author of Not Quite Perfect, Dear Lizzie and, most recently, Life or Something Like It. The evening will provide the perfect opportunity for attendees to meet up with other authors, as well as publishing and agenting professionals.
Lisa Milton, Executive Publisher, Harlequin UK, HarperCollins, said: “For HarperCollins, authors are at the heart of what we do. Encouraging authors, finding and developing new talent is what motivates and excites us. I can’t wait to see the work of the future stars who will be attending, and hopefully we will be publishing one or two.”
In addition to Write Now!, LBF’s brand new Author Club will expand its author community that has to date focused on one of the most popular features at the Fair – Author HQ, the dedicated theatre for authors, originally launched as a response to increasing interest from the self-publishing community. All Write Now! attendees automatically become members. Authors registering for the Author Club will have access to everything on offer from LBF throughout the year, as well as access to year round amazing benefits, including:
- A free ticket to LBF 2016 and access to exclusive LBF events just for Author Club members
- Global Rights 365 membership
- Discount to all LBF author events including the Write Now! residential weekend
- Regular updates from LBF’s quarterly ‘Authority’ Newsletter
- Invitations to networking drinks throughout the year
- The opportunity to be included in the LBF Anthology of New Writing eBook
- FREE access to LBF Autumn Author Clinic
The LBF Anthology of New Writing will be formally announced in the New Year.
Jacks Thomas, Director, The London Book Fair, said: “We know from our interaction with authors attending Author HQ at The London Book Fair that it is really useful to talk not only to industry professionals but also to other authors. It seems a perfect time to expand what we are able to offer to the LBF author community, both at the book fair and beyond it, while also doing even more to help this important creative group tap in to the expertise of the publishing industry. We are delighted that the team at Carina UK and HarperCollins will be sharing their wealth of knowledge with Write Now! attendees.”
WRITE NOW! RATES AND BOOKING INFORMATION
- Dates: Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th January 2016
- Venue: The Bailbrook House Hotel, Bath, Somerset
- Ticket information: £150.00 + VAT for Author Club members, £300.00 + VAT standard price. This includes the two day programme of events, lunches on both days, refreshments, pre-dinner reception and gala dinner on Saturday 23rd January and accommodation on the night of Saturday 23rd January at the Bailbrook House Hotel
- Book Now: londonbookfair.co.uk/writenow
THE AUTHOR CLUB REGISTRATION
- Membership costs £125 per year (inc VAT)
To register as a member of The Author Club, please visit www.londonbookfair.co.uk/authorclub