The Booksellers Association: Key PR hits in 2019
The Booksellers Association of the UK & Ireland is a membership organisation for all booksellers in the UK & Ireland, representing over 95% of specialist booksellers selling new books. The BA exists to support and advise its members, to create products and promotions that drive footfall into bookshops (such as National Book Tokens), to perform local, national and EU-wide lobbying on behalf of members, and to deliver promotional campaign work including Books Are My Bag, Bookshop Day, Independent Bookshop Week and Academic Book Week.
What they wanted us to do
Midas PR is retained by the Booksellers Association to deliver day to day PR that furthers the mission of the Association and its members, while also delivering creative PR initiatives for key campaigns throughout the year.
How we did it
In 2019 Midas PR delivered regular coverage spikes throughout the year, with key moments built around member stories, industry trends, lobbying, creative initiatives, national campaigns, and beyond.
What we achieved for them
Key PR delivered in 2019 included:
- Announcing bookshop membership figures with coverage secured across national press and beyond (e.g. Guardian, The Times, Independent, Sky News, The Week, The Bookseller)
- Lobbying around key issues such as business rates (e.g. Telegraph, The Bookseller)
- Launching the BA’s Green Manifesto with blanket UK and international trade coverage (e.g. The Bookseller, BookBrunch, Books + Publishing, Actuallitte, Publishing Weekly)
- PR support at the BA conference (prominent PR coverage in The Bookseller and BookBrunch)
- Campaign work, including:
- Independent Bookshop Week (177 pieces of coverage, representing a 50 per cent uplift on 2018, including BBC Radio 4, The Sunday Times, Daily Telegraph, Guardian and Time Out)
- Bookshop Day (88 pieces of coverage including BBC Radio 4, Guardian, Big Issue cover story, Daily Telegraph, S Magazine, Metro, Stylist, Country & Town House, TES etc.)
- Spokespeople profile raising (e.g. Meryl Halls, MD, has been appeared on the likes of CNBC and BBC Parliament in 2019)