Midas’ partnership with The London Book Fair (LBF) dates back over 15 years and continued in 2022 with the first in-person Fair since 2019. Having been away for three years, we needed to bring LBF back with a bang. Our task was to champion LBF within the broader narrative of the importance of physical fairs for the publishing world, and to capture this through national and international trade and consumer media coverage.
This involved digging deep and drawing on the breadth of our skills, networks and experience to manage different strands of activity, requiring expertise and flexibility in PR, event management, industry liaison, crisis communications and more.
For maximum PR impact, we secured large-scale media attendance at the Fair, with strategic releases garnering extensive press coverage and creating interview opportunities for speakers and LBF spokespeople. To make the biggest splash possible, we mined our connections in the arts and culture landscape to secure keynote speakers and guest authors that would headline a truly inspirational 2022 programme. This meant more than just knowing who would draw crowds – it involved the nitty-gritty of liaising with teams, managing schedules and ensuring that logistics for each speakers ran smoothly.
Onsite we managed the press office, supported the LBF team with speaker management, and continued our work connecting industry contacts and ensuring that the event made waves for exhibitors and attendees.
We were delighted to see LBF return to widespread industry acclaim in 2022, with 15,000 attendees coming to Olympia over the three days. Exhibition halls were buzzing and theatres were packed with people from the international book world, keen to hear from expert panels, network and meet up with long-missed colleagues.
- 856 pieces of coverage with outlets in 52 countries reaching a possible readership of over 2 billion
- 490 international press registered including top tier outlets ITV News, BBC, The Guardian, Financial Times, Xinhua News Agency, Börsenblatt, Monocle and NB Magazine
- International coverage in The New York Times, The National, Daily Pakistan, China Daily, Forbes India, Gulf Today, The Week India, The China Times and The Hindu
- Profile raising interviews for LBF Director Andy Ventris in 12 key outlets including BBC World News, Sky News, BBC Radio London and CGTN, and major publishing trade interviews running in The Bookseller, Publishing Perspectives, ActuaLitte, Svensk Bokhandel, Livres Hebdo, Buch Report, Borsenblatt and All About Publishing
- Managing judges, submissions, logistics and press outreach for International Excellence Awards, securing coverage in 18 countries.
- Secured top tier talent as Authors of the Day and Illustrator of the Fair: Maggie O’Farrell, Diane Ewen, Afra Atiq, and Greg James & Chris Smith
- Curated standout Main Stage events, securing keynotes from Booker Prize winner Ben Okri and Penguin Michael Joseph MD Louise Moore
- Collaborated with Sharjah Book Authority and British Council to support the Market Focus 2022 programme
- Spearheaded the Author HQ programme, 11 sessions which attracted 1,600 attendees across the Fair
- Worked closely with partner Association of Illustrators (AOI), including programming an exclusive new event ‘The Cover Design Wheel of Fortune’
- Organised 71 agent 1-to-1 sessions at the Writers Summit
- Secured with TLS, with adverts for LBF appearing both in print and digitally, and links to latest issue featuring on the Fair’s on-site app
- Worked with International Booker Prize whose shortlist announcement took place at LBF